Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Journal # 40

I do not really have an idea of self like Whitman does. While Whitman views everybody as sort of one equal being that came from God's image and are therefore pretty much the same, I totally disagree. I think that every person is different in their own way; while we are all human beings and have more or less the same genetic makeup, we are all completely different. Whitman has this idea of everybody having the same background, having more or less the same life, and having the same mindset about pretty much everything. I think this is a load of garbage. Just look around any typical high school and you will see the differences between everyone. While, yes, we all do kind of look similar and might demonstrate similar traits and behaviors, we are absolutely nothing alike. High school students have completely different ideas about what is right and wrong, what is interesting or boring, and what is cool or lame. I, personally, think that doing drugs and drinking is ridiculous, while some of my friends think that it is just a fun thing to do and do it every weekend. I go to church every weekend and believe in God, while others think that God is just a lie or too much to think about. These examples prove that our lifestyles are completely different; while I do believe that we were created by God in his own image, I do not take that literally as Whitman did. Whitman seems to have not realized that people were also blessed by God with the power of free will, and this free will is what distinguishes people from each other. Over time, it has made us who we are today. My lifestyle is completely different than the lifestyles of everyone else sitting in this English class with me today. This is because of our free will, opinions, and choices. While maybe we were born naturally because of God and therefore are all connected, but I think that after we leave the womb and begin to grow up and live our lives, everyone establishes their own "self" that is completely different than the self of everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment