Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Journal #43

As I listen to this jazz song that is being played, I think of some older African American man who looks like Bill Cosby just blowing away on a saxophone. I also think of my French Horn, since it reminds me of band class. This man is a very talented musician, and I bet that music is a very very big part of his life. Most likely, music was his escape from reality, and it was how he coped with difficult things. There is not much else that I am thinking while I listen to this song, except for the fact that it is over ten minutes long and that seems a little bit too extreme for my taste. Personally, I prefer music with lyrics. I listen to country music, and in country music, the lyrics and vocals are the most important part of the song, not the background music such as the drums, guitar, and any other instrument. Therefore, when I listen to this music, I find it sort of boring even though it is impressive. I am not by any means saying that this music is any lesser than country music, I just think that since there are not vocals or lyrics it is extremely boring, especially since it is over ten minutes long. Another image I get in my head is of some downtown area, like the neighborhoods of Chicago or New York, in which an elderly African American is just going to town in his balcony window. I think that image is in my head because it is sort of a common image relating to the African American blues and whatnot. Besides those images I got in my head, this song does not really spark any other emotion except for boredom. I mean yes, it is definitely impressive, but I understood that he was a champ at saxophone after the first two minute, I do not feel that I need to keep listening for another eight and a half minutes. He is a very talented artist though, and it is obvious to tell how he relayed his emotions through his playing to the rest of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment