Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Journal #23

It was pitch black outside. Under my hut made of sticks and leaves, I shuddered in the violent wind. It was a chilly November night in the back woods of the Gower forest. More than anything, I wished for a small hand held heater or something to keep me warm, but I had nothing. All modern technology was gone; it was just nature and myself. I did have a few blankets and warm clothing, but it got to the point where I might as well have been wearing nothing, lying in a field of ice. It really would not have been so bad had the wind not been blowing, but the wind was like the ice monster himself blowing his fury all over my hut. In a normal, everyday circumstance, I would have just pulled out my phone or my iPod or something to distract myself from this harsh reality, but I had no technology! I could not do any of those things! I could not even send a status to facebook alerting all of my friends of my unfortunate night! I just did not know what to do. I do not rely solely on technology; I am a very active person and spend much of my time outside. However, this was just going a little tad bit too far. I was frozen solid; I felt like I would probably become some sort of human ice block before too long. It was painful and boring and I felt so helpless. Looking back, I should have done it in the summer or something where my fingers would not have frozen off like they did. In the summer time, the lack of technology really would not have bothered me at all, as I am a pretty free person. I do not need technology to make me happy. Yes, I do enjoy cell phones and facebook, but I can easily get by without them. Apparently that does not apply to when the weather is horrendous.

No comments:

Post a Comment