Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Journal #30

I do not think that Pleasant Plains should have to wear school uniforms. School uniforms are unattractive, unnecessary, and might not make some people feel good about their bodies. Honestly, the main reason I would not want to wear a uniform is because I find them to be boring, ugly, and one cannot express their individuality. I believe that a big part of high school is learning how to express oneself, and if all of the students are forced to wear the same boring outfit every single day, there is really not much individuality going on. A lot of athletic people like to wear their shirts and outfits that express their accomplishments and sports that they participate in; I as well as many others take pride in that. Students also enjoy wearing clothes that express their opinions through what they wear; they might wear shirts that express their favorite bands. If students were not allowed to wear uniforms, our individuality would be stomped upon. I also think kids would start to act out a little bit to prove that they were "tough," since they were not allowed to wear "bad kid" clothes or anything.

Another reason I think it would not be good to wear uniforms is because students would not be able to wear clothes that fit their comfort, or the uniforms might not fit correctly. I know that a lot of private schools that wear uniforms require their students to wear a skirt and a polo. However, what if the student is very uncomfortable with their legs? What if the student is shaped oddly and skirts accentuate the traits that they would otherwise try to hide? Also, I do not think that polos are flattering whatsoever unless a girl is shaped perfectly for it. For example, I hate polos because I am short and they look very awkward on me. Therefore, people who argue that students should wear uniforms because they ruin the self-confidence issues for high school students are mistaken in my opinion. Yes, it does eliminate the fact that kids do not have to spend money on trendy clothes trying to fit in, but I think that the students would feel even more uncomfortable and self-conscious wearing school uniforms. I do not think that students at Pleasant Plains should wear uniforms.

No comments:

Post a Comment