Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Journal #34

Personally, I love writing ACT argumentative essays! For those of you who know me, this may come as a surprise, but I must admit that I pretty much love to argue. Actually that was a joke, everybody who has ever spent more than ten minutes with me knows that I tend to argue quite a bit. Recently, I have had a certain friend tell me repeatedly that I am the best arguer he knows. He did not say it quite as positively as that, it was actually more along the lines of, "You argue more than anyone else I have ever met," but I prefer to take it as meaning that I am the best arguer. It is what I do when I am bored, and therefore I have perfected the skill.

When writing an argumentative essay for the ACT, it is first and foremost important to choose a side. If you are going to argue a point and actually sound confident and convincing, you cannot bounce back and forth between sides or have an inconclusive attitude. You must be totally confident and sure about your point of view, and you have to provide stellar support and background on why you chose that topic. Although I did mention to keep your opinion consistent, it is also necessary to include a counterargument. However, by showing the counterargument, you must make your point as to why you do not believe the counterargument is correct, legitimate, a good enough reason, etcetera.

It is important to write clearly and explain things thoroughly, using correct grammar the entire time. When the essay is being graded, no matter how strong the content is, bad grammar will automatically deduct your final grade. There are many things that will deduct the number of points you get, such as grammar obviously, not providing a counterargument, not sticking to an opinion, and things like that. The people who grade these are sticklers, although as long as you follow my tips you should not have to worry about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment