Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Overdose

Although I finished Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 a very long time ago, I have only written one blog about it. Therefore, I am going to begin with only one week of summer to go. I do not think this is a very good idea; I probably should have done this about two months ago, but what's done is done.

When I left off, I was on page twelve. I was very confused as to what was going on. Things became even more confusing to me as Montag arrived at his house after meeting Clarisse and found his wife unconscious on her bed. Montag found an empty bottle on the floor and realized Mildred had overdosed on her sleeping medication. He immediately called for help, and the emergency technicians stuck some snake-like thing into her and sucked out the drugs.

At this point of the book, I was thinking to myself, "What have I gotten myself into?" I thought this novel was complete rubbish, it made no sense, and I had no idea how I would continue to read the next hundred pages of it. Thankfully, I am no quitter. I kept reading.

I was not the only one who found this scene of the book weird; it appeared as though Montag was having the same thoughts as me. He had no idea why these people were sticking this tube down his wife's throat. To make matters even worse, the "emergency technicians" were just kind of chilling off to the side, smoking cigarettes. I do not know about others, but if I were Montag and my wife had the potential of dying, I would not be too happy if the people that were supposed to save her life were smoking cigarettes and not even paying attention to her. Since he was a kind of meek but curious person, he did mention his discomfort to the technicians but did not pry too much, as that may have caused quite a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment