Sunday, August 15, 2010

Happy Endings

A few lines stuck out to me as Montag left his wife to her walls the morning after her overdose. As he was about to walk away from her, overcome with disappointment and sadness, he referred to the script she was reading in preparation of her day with the walls. Like I said, I do not completely understand the whole "wall" situation, but I am doing the best I can to comprehend this strange new world. Anyway, as Montag walks away, he turns back and asks if the script has a happy ending.

" 'Goodbye,' he said. He stopped and turned around. 'Does it have a happy ending?'

" 'I haven't read that far.'

"He walked over, read the last page, nodded, folded the script, and handed it back to her. He walked out of the house into the rain."

Now, as I mentioned in one of my previous blogs, I am already done reading this book. I have actually been done for quite some time. As the great Matt Vermeersch would say, "Curse my teenage ways!" Because of the fact that I know how the story ends, looking back over these words make me see the immense amount of foreshadowing. Montag, looking for the happy ending, reads the ending. He does not appear to be extremely pleased about it, as he simply hands it back to her. Mildred does not seem to care at all; the prospect of a having happy ending verses an unfortunate ending appears to be insignificant to her. The most telling part about this passage, however, is the last line, "He walked out of the house and into the rain." Rain is usually symbolized as sadness, or depression, or general unhappiness. The fact that right after he read the ending of her script he walked out into the rain gives foreshadowing of how Fahrenheit 451 will end: gloomy, unsettling, and kind of leaving the reader confused. Ray Bradbury, you are a clever man.

No comments:

Post a Comment