Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Great Life of Montag

Montag's life basically sucks. After Clarisse had been gone for four days, he brought it up to Mildred. At first she kind of ignored him and tried to go back to sleep like a typical lazy, spoiled, selfish woman, but she then realized what he was talking about. She then informed him that the whole family was gone, but Clarisse was dead. Clarisse had been run over by a car. Montag went into denial at first, saying that could not possibly be true, but when Mildred turned over and went back to sleep Montag realized Mildred had not made it up. The only person that had ever understood Montag was gone. She was dead.

That made me feel a lot of compassion for Montag. Yeah, he is not my favorite person ever, but come on. He hates his wife, he hates his job, he hates his coworkers. Clarisse was the only thing he had going for him. Although sometimes she did make him feel bad because of how terrible his life was, she was the only one who he could truly talk to about everything. She was his best friend. Then all of a sudden, when things were starting to get even worse, she was killed mercilessly. If my best friend died, I do not even know what I would do. I would have no one to talk to; I would never get to have interesting conversations where neither of us censored information; I would have no one to turn to. Plus I would probably spend every day crying, which is not a very fun way to spend a day in my opinion. I can only imagine how Montag felt. He did not even have his wife to console him. She is a jerk.

To make matters worse, that same night he thought he heard the Mechanical Hound outside his window. The presence of that thing alone, even without have hearing devestating news minutes before, would terrify the living snot out of me. It shook Montag up pretty badly too, but he just tried to ignore it and went to sleep. I am sure his dreams that night were probably really pleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment