Sunday, August 15, 2010

Be Nice to Metal Dogs

When I first read about the Mechanical Hound, I was so incredibly confused. Then I became frustrated. Then I grew weary. The whole book had been confusing, which frustrated me to no end. When I read a book, I prefer to understand what is going on. However, in this novel, I had no idea. I had to just sit back and keep truckin' along though, but by the time I read about the Mechanical Hound I was ready to just give up. Ray Bradbury, where on Earth do you get your ideas? I consider myself a writer, but I have never once considered the idea of a Mechanical Hound. You are one strange but intelligent man.

The first thing I realized about the Mechanical Hound was that Montag was terrified of it. Well, technically the first thing I realized was that it was mechanical and therefore not a real dog, but I think that goes without saying. Anyway, Montag described the doggy computer as strangely lifelike, having things such as sensory nostril hairs and rubber padded feet. Although it sounded strange, it allowed me to come up with a terrific image in my head of what this creature looked like.

Montag talks about going down to see the dog at the fire station. He talks to it; however, he does make sure it is fast asleep while he is doing so. He said that for some reason he felt as if the dog was out to get him. He cannot help but be fascinated by the Hound, but who can blame him? The giant thing caught organisms within seconds; he would trap prey in his massive claws and release a long, sharp needle out of his mouth like a fang to inject morphine into whatever he had caught. That is one strange character, Bradbury.

Montag had a moment of terror when the Hound woke up and growled at him, but luckily Montag is a smart cookie and got out of there quickly. If I were him, I would try to keep my fascination to a minimum. I would rather stay alive then be eaten by some hunk of morhpine-shooting metal.

No comments:

Post a Comment