Sunday, August 15, 2010

Dandelion Love

Wow, I just realized I have exactly a week before school starts and i still have forty four blogs left to write. This could prove to be quite a problem, which is why I'm sitting at my desk at one thirty-three in the morning, eating Ramen Noodles and thinking about burning books. Heck, burning this book does not sound like such a bad idea right now. That was a joke. Although Matt did burn a Jonas Brothers poster in my backyard earlier.

Anway, the next section of Fahrenheit 451 stood out to me as well. Montag goes out into the rain and meets Clarisse, who is dancing and drinking the rain. She picks a dandelion and explains how if you rub it under your chin and your chin turns yellow, you are in love. I remember doing this back when I was in elementary school; my friends and I would pick dandelions and rub them all over each other, but that was mostly just to make our teachers mad. Clarisse, however, strongly believes in the legend of the dandelion and proceeds t0 rub her chin, and indeed it does turn yellow. In turn, she rubs Montag's chin, and it does not turn a different shade of color at all. Montag is deeply disturbed by this, as he very well should be. I mean, here is Clarisse, a seventeen year old girl who has never even thought about marriage, and then there's Montag, a man who has a wife! A wife who, according to the dandelion, he does not even love! I think Montag had thought about that before, the fact that he did not love his wife, but having it said right out in the open really opened his eyes. I think this is when Montag really began to realize how much he disliked his life. Although Clarisse felt horrible for upsetting him, personally I think Montag owes her a big thank you for helping him see in clarity the reality of his situiation.

No comments:

Post a Comment