Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Fire is Done

The end of Fahrenheit 451 went by really quickly for me. It got extremely interesting during the chase, although I have no idea how that giant hunk of metal did not find Montag. I mean, Montag is a clever guy and all, but I really do not think he is smarter than a computer with huge robot legs. Anyway, I thought it was smart of Montag to use the river to erase his scent, but I got really scared for Faber because I just like that old man. He kind of reminds me of Santa Clause, except real. Well, technically he is not real either but come on, it is a book, we have to pretend he is real. I am glad Faber got away safely, to say the least.

I am glad Mildred did not get away safely. She was a dumb lady who probably should not have even been in this book, although she certainly did add effect. At the same time, though, she was annoying and I do not for the life of me understand what Montag ever saw in her, even if she did use to be young and hot, which is highly doubtful.

Okay, what is wrong with the end of this book, though? You get all excited, yay Montag got away; he's such a hero. Then, boom, the whole dang city is gone. I actually reread that section to make more sense of it; that did not help. I am sure there is some symbolism or hidden meaning or something going on there, but all I really see is a big question mark hanging all over the pages. Do not get me wrong, I did like the book. I just do not like how abrupt the ending is. It is kind of like, well, here is the story, whoops now it is time for an ending, okay give me thirty seconds while I type one up really quick. It just did not seem right to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment