Saturday, August 21, 2010

Thank You, Anatomy Class

This book is not actually that bad. Yeah, there are a lot of useless descriptions and stuff, but it is kind of interesting. I do not dislike Joad at all anymore; he is actually kind of cool. Casy is a whack job but he seems like a nice guy who just has to straighten out some things in his mind. We just met Muley, who makes me kind of sad. Since the bank tried to run people off the land, Muley decided he would never leave. Just because of his stubbornness, he has lost everything. They took away his house and his land, so his family began to starve. His wife then decided to leave and she took the kids with her; they headed out west where life would be better. So here is Muley, this man who is just doing what he thinks is right, and he is so lonely. When he first comes across Joad and Casey, he just cannot stop talking. He said that he had not had anyone to talk to in the longest time, so they should just let him talk. I think that is really sad, just because Muley seems like a funny guy that should not have to live like that.

An interesting part of Chapter Six was when they were preparing the rabbits for dinner. I thought it was kind of cool how Steinbeck (I just typed Steinwart again, this is becoming very annoying) described everything Joad did while preparing the meat. I was in Anatomy last year, so I had to dissect the fetal pig. For some reason, I actually loved that project. I thought it was so interesting. So when I read about how Joad skinned the rabbits and everything, I felt really smart because I understood exactly the process he was going through and what it would look like to do it. I do not know why I am so amused by the thought that him and I have both experienced skinning an animal in almost the same method, but I am certainly amused.

No comments:

Post a Comment