Friday, August 20, 2010

Steinbeck's Obsession with Nature

So, I just started reading the beginning of Chapter Three. I think this John Steinbeck character may have been slightly obsessed with nature. I mean, I love nature; I would most definitely rather be outside than inside on any given day of the year. However, when I sit down to write something, I do not waste pages and paragraphs and unnecessary sentences on nature. At least, if I do write about nature, it will be something extremely interesting, such as some huge praying mantis or a beautiful double rainbow. By the way, that YouTube video of the double rainbow is quite hysterical. If anyone has not watched that yet, they should. That guy must have stoned out of his mind or something, because his reaction is not quite that of the reaction of a normal person. Him and John Steinbeck probably would have become great friends. The entire first chapter of Grapes of Wrath basically described this weird dust and dirt that is in the air, and then there is some storm, and then it is really hot, or something like that. I was pretty much just trying to get that chapter done and over with because it was really incredibly boring. Then Chapter Two was decent, and now here I am, at the beginning of Chapter Three, reading some nonsense about sheep's wool and some spindle-ey thing; I basically have no idea what he is talking about. I just know it has something to do with grass or bugs or animals or something in nature. John Steinbeck, (that is the sixth time I have started to write John Steinwart; this is getting very frustrating), maybe you should have just enjoyed all that nature in your head instead of putting it into your book. Grapes of Wrath would probably be about sixty pages long then. That would have made my life quite a bit easier, considering I have four hundred and forty one pages to go until I am done, and I have two and a half days to do this. I love my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment