Friday, August 20, 2010

Big Fish in the Rain

What a dreary day. I just got back from lunch with Kirk, and the sky is like straight up gray. It looks like it is about to rain, although thankfully it cooled off quite a bit. That is a good thing, considering I am going to go running in an hour and twelve minutes.

This makes me think of how the old man must have felt though. He mentioned at one point how the sky kind of looked like it would rain in a couple days. I already shared my story about my dad and I when we got rained on on a fishing trip, and let me tell you, it was not an enjoyable experience. To be elderly, in the middle of an ocean on just a small boat, and surrounded by sharks and the like, I would not be very comfortable. I would probably be scared out of my wits. However, the old man was just like oh well. He had seen it all. I bet his life while he was growing up was pretty eventful, since this single fishing trip seemed like a huge deal to me, and he regarded it as nothing too unusual.

I thought it was really cool the first time the old man saw the fish he had caught. The way he got really excited and described it made it seem very realistic, as if I was actually there on the boat with him. I also learned a lot; the old man wanted the fish to jump out of the water because then air would get trapped in the fish, causing it to not be able to go deep under the surface anymore. While seems pretty obvious to think about, I myself had never actually considered it. I told my dad the whole air theory one time when we were out fishing right after I finished the book, and he was like, cool. Now shut up and reel that fish in. I love my dad, he is my pal. That particular fish I had been reeling in while I told my dad that ended up to be a pretty decent guy, too, although compared to the old man's fish it was like plankton. That made me feel less proud about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment