Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Angry Ladies and Ear Chips

I think it is hilarious when Montag shows the book to Mildred's friends. They got the shock of their life, and the way they responded was so typical. I had viewed them all as rich, stuck up women, for some reason wearing silk and velvet dresses with curled hair and red lipstick. I have no idea why that is what they looked like in my head, but I cannot change the way my brain works. The best part is that they all left the house, leaving Mildred alone. She deserved it. Ray Bradbury did pull a sympathy card on her though; every time something bad happens, she starts popping pills like there is no tomorrow. Instead of feeling bad for her, however, I just feel sick. Some people need medicine to actually get better; they pop pills in order to be healed. She takes medicine whenever life is not perfect or going exactly how it should be going. That is life, sister. Bad things happen. Yes, some things might be worse than others, but you become stronger by persevering through the bad times, not conking yourself out so you do not have to even think about it any more. That is a sign of very weak person in my eyes. Usually, I would have sympathy for someone who is too weak to even bear going through life, but I despise Mildred, and she is pathetic. I feel no sympathy for her character whatsoever.

I do, however, feel much sympathy for Montag. I no longer dislike him one bit; now that he starting standing up for himself he has become a much more interesting character. I especially think the little ear chip is phenominal. I do not understand how people do not notice it, though. While I understand that it is small, I would think that people would notice a little black chip wedged into one's ear. Either way, that device is fascinating and seems to be extremely useful. I think Montag should have listened to Faber when he was shoving the books in the women's faces, though. While that was funny, it probably was not the best idea if Montag wants to stay alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment