Sunday, August 22, 2010

Car Crash

I thought Chapter Fifteen was actually pretty interesting. It was kind of random, but it was certainly interesting. It was about two people, a married couple I believe, named Mae and Al. They owned a greasy little restaurant joint, or maybe it was a bar, but it was like a classy bar. They talked about how they loved when truck drivers came in because they would always buy meals and they would usually leave a tip. One of the truck drivers told Mae a really funny joke about a bull, and I actually laughed out loud when I read it. What a surprise, it was pretty darn inappropriate; I told you John Steinbeck was a dirty man. It was funny though, so I have no complaints.

One thing that worried me when reading this chapter, however, is that Mae and Al spoke of a car crash they had just seen happen on the road. It was between a nice vehicle going at least ninety miles and hour and another vehicle that was not so nice. They described it as one of those sawed off cars with stoves and plates and chickens and children everywhere. Then Mae and Al said that a little boy died. This concerns me because the Joad family was obviously traveling in a vehicle that could be described that very same way, and they had a young boy. I am going to be extremely sad if one of their little boys dies, even if it is Danny. I sure would not wish death upon that young child, even if I do think he is very annoying and needs to keep his mouth shut. The good thing is that many, many vehicles are sawed off and stacked with tons of random things since the darn government was making so many people relocate, so hopefully that was just a random accident they were talking about for no reason. Maybe John Steinbeck was just trying to show how the road was dangerous. I sure hope that was the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment