Sunday, August 22, 2010

I Hate Pointless Chapters

Chapter Eleven was another one of those dumb, ridiculous chapters that have no significance and should just be taken away. The first little section of it was about chemistry. It is as if John Steinbeck (not Steinwart) read a biography about me and took notes on every single thing I disliked in the world, and during his odd numbered chapters would write about them. Cars, dust, chemistry... I swear, if he writes about Spanish I am going to burn this book like those Fahrenheit 451 kiddos. Again, I do not mean to offend anyone who lives in Spain or anyone who necessarily speaks Spanish; I generally have no problem with them. Especially Miguel, he is my pal. But the language itself is just not on my list of things I enjoy. Actually, it is probably very, very near top of the things I hate list. Spanish and Chemistry are just awful.

Anyway, so this chapter was boring. I was glad it was only like three pages, or else I probably would have just skipped ahead to Chapter Twelve. The second section of Chapter Eleven, otherwise knows as the second two pages of that chapter, were about a vacant house. Using context clues, I believe it is the Joad house, but they never actually say so I cannot know for certain. It talks about mice and plants and cats and stuff. Of course, it also talks about dust. I did not expect anything less.

I wonder what John Steinbeck was thinking when he wrote his book. Was he even thinking? I mean, we all know that Ernest Hemingway got a little help from the bottle, and he probably had no idea what he was writing when he wrote The Old Man and the Sea. That is probably why that book makes absolutely no sense and has no meaning. I heard the song "Alcohol" by Brad Paisley the other day, and I laughed when Brad sang, "I've influenced kings and world leaders; I helped Hemingway write like he did." I finally completely understood that line. I wonder if John Steinbeck was sober when he wrote The Grapes of Wrath. He was probably lost in some dust field; that would make sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment