Friday, August 20, 2010

Country Boy Drivers and Joad the Toad

Thank goodness that the second chapter of Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath is better than its first chapter. Dang it, I started to typed Steinwart again. This is going to get annoying. I also started to type "graphs" instead of "grapes," I do not really know where that came from. Anyway, we actually meet characters in the second chapter; it is not just a bunch of nonsense about dust and storms and the sun. That was unnecessary, I believe. So, the book appears to take place in some little country town, judging by the way everyone speaks. The waitress, who I think is probably some tired woman who is tired of taking crap from men, seems pretty cool. I have no idea if she was just a passing character or one who will actually have meaning in the book; I guess we will just have to find out. The truck driver, whose name we never learn for some reason, seems like a nice guy. Personally, if he was one of my acquaintances and not just some guy I was reading about, I would probably find him annoying. He does not seem to know when to stop talking, and he asks a lot of dumb questions. However, as of right now I do not really have any problems with him. Joad is kind of a sketchy character, though. First of all, his name is Joad, which reminds me of toads. Now, I love toads and frogs and all those guys, but I do not really like thinking of a toad every time I read his name. It is not exactly the most glamorous thing to be associated with. I actually liked Joad at first, until he opened his mouth. Once he got in the truck and started kind of acting like a jerk, it made me a little weary. I have only known Joad for about ten minutes now so things might change, but as of right now I am not exactly a fan. Actually, as of right now I am not exactly a fan of the entire book. Hopefully this will change.

No comments:

Post a Comment