Sunday, August 22, 2010

Quality Summer Reading

Oops, I am kind of dumb. I just combined Chapter Twelve with the first half of Chapter Thirteen. I am halfway done with Chapter Thirteen, and I guess I forgot about that and just assumed I had finished one chapter. Technically I think I had a right to be confused, since for the first time there is actually a storyline going on in an odd numbered chapter. Gosh dang it John Steinbeck, stop messing with our brains. Just get on with your darned story so I can enjoy the last eleven hours of my summer.

My brother just asked me a question. He is reading Great Expectations for Freshman Honors English, and he just asked me if Magwich was hiding in the woods or something like that. To be quite honest, I have no idea what he is talking about. I do not recall a character named Magwich, and I have no idea why he would be hiding in some woods. I actually read Great Expectations too instead of Spark Noting it like most kids did. I am proud to say I have never been on Spark Notes in my life.

Anyway, my point is that I do not really think these summer homework assignments really do any good. I obviously do not remember anything about a book I read only two summers ago, and I even had to do like three hundred questions over that book. There is no way I will remember what The Grapes of Wrath is about a year from now, especially because it is so boring and so far has not captured my interest one bit.

Maybe it will get better, though. Yesterday, my boss called me to see if I could work, and I had to tell him no because I was doing this. He asked what book I was reading, and I told him I was reading The Grapes of Wrath. He told me that was a really good book and the ending is super sad, then he warned me not to cry. Hopefully this means the book will actually start getting decent. I am looking forward to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment