Sunday, August 22, 2010

Finally Done!

I just finished reading The Grapes of Wrath. I am kind of a mix of emotions right now. I am extremely psyched because after this blog I am completely done! I am sad though, too, because of how the book ended. I am really upset about Rose of Sharon's stillborn child; for some reason that upset me even more than the family's problems with work and whatnot. I am also kind of weirded out. The Grapes of Wrath had a very unique ending that is not exactly the norm. I guess it just goes to show how great of a family the Joads truly were; even though things sucked for them, they were still going out of their way to help others. Nursing a man back to heath though... That is just kind of weird. I am glad they did the right thing and the man lived, but I think that just kind of be an awkward situation.

I thought parts of this book was really predictable, such as there not being work once they got in California. Honestly, I was kind of surprised that they even made it that far. Once they got there though, I thought it was dumb that they had expected there to be a ton of work. They saw all the people heading to California; they should have realized that jobs were being taken left and right. I respect them for how they made their life work though. Instead of become incredibly upset and going crazy, they did what they had to. They found a house, even though it was not exactly ideal. They got jobs, even though picking cotton in California was no better, really, then picking cotton back at home. I felt really bad for them since they had expected so much more, but I was happy that they kept pushing right on.

Rose of Sharon's stillborn child really upset me a lot. Even though she was not necessarily one of the main characters, not as much as Tom anyway, I had kind of connected to her and I really wanted what was best for her. Plus, anytime I hear of a child being born stillborn it breaks my heart. I really want kids someday, and I would just completely be crushed if it happened to me.

Overall, The Grapes of Wrath was not necessarily a terrible book. I would have much rather been reading something else, like a Jodi Picoult book or something, but it was not a big deal. I kind of like how weird the ending was; it makes it memorable. However, I am so very glad to be done with all my summer work.

No comments:

Post a Comment