Friday, August 20, 2010

A Super Buff Old Man

I was really excited for the old man when he finally managed to bring the big fish in. I was shocked at how big it really was though! He said it was probably around eighteen feet, and it was over a thousand pounds! That is giant. It was truly a monster fish. This old man pulled it in all by himself, too! Granted, it took him around two and a half days, but still. He must have had so much patience. For an old man, he must have been in pretty dang good shape to pull that in, too. One time I caught a fish that was sixteen inches long and about weighed about three pounds, and it took me like three minutes to pull that sucker in. It put up quite a fight. I literally had to use all the strength I had just to get it up into the boat. The old man's fish was quite a bit bigger than my fish. Actually, it was probably like a hundred times bigger than my fish, and I am not even exaggerating. He managed to do it all by himself after barely eating or sleeping for two days, and there I was, having just eaten and taken a nap, pulling in a little three pound fish with the help of my dad. That must have been one super buff old guy.

I thought it was really cool how he harpooned the fish; I have never seen a harpoon, let alone know how to use one. Then he had to tie the fish to the side of the boat, which my little arms would have probably never allowed me to do, even though I am youthful and healthy. It kind of confused me as to why he tied it to the side of the boat instead of just flopping it into his boat, but then I realized it would get dried out since he had a one or two day journey back to shore. Plus that thing probably would have taken up the entire boat. That reminded me of Life of Pi again, except it was a big fish taking over instead of a mean tiger.

No comments:

Post a Comment