Sunday, August 22, 2010

Understood Verbs and Useless Nonsense

Wow, my last blog was four hundred and six words long. If that is not considered super over achieving, I do not know what is! Today is the day of my dad's birth, but instead of being a nice, caring daughter and spending time with him, I am sitting here doing blogs and reading the Grapes of Wrath. I mean, I only have three hundred pages left, so maybe I will get to spend a couple minutes with him before the clock strikes midnight. Or maybe not. My brother Timothy James, T.J. for short, is sitting in the room with me doing Honors English homework too. Our situation is not good, since my poor dad is left alone with a television and my mom. My other dumb brother is at the fair. He obviously has no moral values whatsoever.

Is there such thing as an understood verb? I read aloud the first sentence of Chapter Fourteen. It reads, "The western land, nervous under the beginning change." I said to T.J., this is stupid. It is not even a complete sentence. T.J. told me that there is the understood verb, is, and therefore it does make sense. I have never heard of this in my life but I guess it makes sense.

The rest of Chapter Fourteen is just weird. Steinbeck is dumb and mixed up his ordering of the dumb chapters versus the normal ones, so now I guess the even numbered chapters are going to be the pointless ones? This chapter was about results or something; honestly I could not understand what he was saying very well in the first half of the section. The second half of the chapter was about companionship and not being alone, which is all well and good, except Steinbeck did a pretty awful job of saying it. Basically I read that chapter as fast as I could, just so I could get on to the next chapter and stop reading nonsense.

No comments:

Post a Comment