Friday, August 20, 2010

A Fine Start to Grapes of Wrath

Wow, I have a ton of work to do. So much for having a good ending to the summer; it appears that I will be doing this and reading Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck for the rest of the weekend. I am not a fan of typing this author's name because of the fact that his last name starts with "Stein" and my last name starts with "Stein," therefore, I just accidentally typed John Steinwart and had to delete it because that is not the author's name. What is ironic about that is that my younger brother is John Steinwart. However, he is certainly not old enough to have written this book, and he is probably not smart enough. For example, right now he is singing "All I Do Is Win," which is some dumb rap song, while he chats with people on facebook. Welcome to America.

Anyway, tonight I started Grapes of Wrath. I always read the back of a book immediately before I start reading the book itself, and let me tell you, reading the back of that book did not give me a good feeling. For starters, in the little highlighted section at the top of the back, it uses the world "galvanized." I have never heard that word in my life, and I am running too short on time to actually look it up. If the book itself uses words like that, I am going to be in quite a bit of trouble.

After that little flash of optimism, I read the first chapter of the book. It may have been the most pointless piece of a story I have ever read in my life. That entire chapter could have been summarized into, oh, about one paragraph. It would have been a really boring paragraph, too, which just goes to show that that first chapter was pretty much awful. Steinbeck used a lot of colors, I noticed, to describe things. The words "pale" and "red" were used about twenty times each it seemed. All I really got out of that chapter was that it was dusty. Oh boy, this is going to be a fun book to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment