Friday, August 20, 2010

The Tough Old Man's Tough Old Hands

I do not think there is anything worse than having a big cut on your hand. It ruins everything. You use your hands for basically anything you do, like lifting things, or holding things, or even touching things. One time, in sixth grade, I was on my way to softball practice. I got out of my mom's car and tripped over my softball bag. Yes, I am so smooth. That was when the middle school softball field still had those white rocks in the parking lot, and since I am so graceful, I fell onto those rocks and caught myself with my hands. One of the rocks went into my left hand. I am talking really deep, to the point where one I pulled it out it would not stop bleeding. That just happened to be the one day of the year where Mrs. Greer was late to practice, so after dumping my entire water bottle over the wound and ruining my shirt, I just stuck my glove on and played catch while we waited for her to arrive. To this day, there are bloodstains in my glove. It is really cute. Anyway, I ended up getting six stitches and I could not use that hand for like a month. It sucked.

In The Old Man and the Sea, the old man's hand gets absolutely ruined from the ropes. Instead of stopping to take care of it, he stuck it in the saltwater until it stopped hurting and then pretty much just ignored it and tried not to use it very much. That is ridiculous. It is incredible. I had a little one inch cut, and I was not able to use that hand for a whole month whatsoever. The old man was like, who cares, I have a fish to catch. He had a huge cut across his entire palm, and he did not let that stop him from what he was doing. That is absolutely remarkable. I gained a lot of respect for him when that happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment