Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Perfect Couple

The night after Montag told Mildred about the books, they had a very interesting conversation. Montag was trying to think back to how they had first met, and he could not remember. He asked her how they met, and she could not remember either. When further questioned about it, she replied, "It doesn't matter."

I think this really shows the depth of their relationship. It was about as deep as the shallow end of the kiddie pool. They had been married for ten years, and ten years is not a lot of time. After only ten years, they had both forgotten how they had met! They were a married couple! Heck, I remember how I met random people ten years ago, and I was only six years old. To not remember how you met your husband or wife is unfathomable to me. In my opinion, you should be married to the person you love unconditionally, and maybe I am mistaken, but I sure think if you love someone even a little bitty bit you would remember how you met.

Another thing that I think is messed up in their relationship is the fact that Mildred does not even seem to care that she can't remember. Montag was shaken up about it; it definitely upset him a good deal. Mildred, on the other hand, just kind of shook it off and went to bed. Granted, she did start popping those sleeping pills like they were candy, but due to the fact that she already had a random overdose I would assume that was nothing new. I feel bad for Montag; he clearly at least wants to start a personal relationship with his wife, but Mildred just does not seem to care at all about anything except for herself. While Montag does at times annoy me, Mildred infuriates me. She is a selfish, spoiled woman, and I hate those kind of people. Maybe if she showed a little compassion every once in a while, Montag would actually enjoy being around his own wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment